We believe that good early experiences at the dentist’s office can lead to a lifetime of good dental health. The First Class Smiles Dental Team offers an entire suite of children’s dentistry including emergency visits. Children’s sedation is available after consultation with one of our dentists and the parents.
Child’s First Dental Visit
We recommend having your child’s first dental checkup around their first birthday. This will help them learn from an early age how important dental care is. We want your child’s first dental visit to be as comfortable as possible. We offer the following tips for their first visit.
- Take another adult along for the visit. Having more people there to help soothe them and make them feel safe will help us immensely and they will be more comfortable around someone they trust.
- Leave other children at home if possible. Other children can cause a distraction. This will alleviate stress for you and your child.
- Use positive language to describe the dentist. Avoid using scary terms like “drills” or “needles” and instead say things like “keep the teeth healthy and happy” so they can see the positive side of dentistry.
- Be honest about what will happen during their appointment so they know what to expect. There are many children’s books that can help prepare your child for the dentist as well.
How to Prevent Cavities
- Limit sugary and starchy snacks because these expedite the formation of cavities. Replace candy with natural foods like fruit or cheese and replace soda with water.
- Lose the sippy cup. Sippy cups increase the exposure time of sugary juices to the teeth and can cause damage to the front teeth with prolonged use.
- Rinse pacifiers. They can hold bacteria which is easily transferred to the mouth. Rinse often with warm water and soap.
- Brush and floss. Teach your children to brush and floss regularly. It will keep their teeth healthy now and start good habits for the future.
- Maintain regular dental appointments
If you have any questions or concerns reach out for a consultation we look forward to hearing from you.